Sunday 22 February 2015

The Hair Chronicle #2- Growing Long Healthy Hair


Aloha!

So clicking upon this post you're probably thinking something along the lines of.. *hair?!* *grow?!* *LONG?!*. Yes this IS what I'm going to be talking about but let's be realistic here.. I hate to break it to you but there is no magic potion that will give you long locks over night (trust me I've tried it all) but there ARE things you can do to encourage hair growth with these simple steps. Remember, I have naturally fine, straight hair that has never been permanently dyed and the below is just what I find works for me and my hair type :) There is a lot of information on this that i could write but I'll try and keep it brief and stick to the point! 

No 1. Bite The Bullet

The first thing you have to do is pluck up the courage to have a good chop! I know, the thought terrifies me too, but it has to be done if you want long, but most importantly, healthy hair. Saying ta'ra to those dead ends will be the best thing you'll ever say bye to because although some products claim to 'fix' split ends, the results are always temporary and the only real way to get rid of them is to cut them off! Otherwise they'll travel up the hair strands, leaving you with thin ratty ends, and we all know that's not a good look. I must admit I'm terrible at getting regular hair cuts but, I myself, trim the ends of my hair every couple of months, bare in mind, if your hair is more damaged, you may need to approach this step twice.

No 2. Have a Balanced Diet

Eat plenty of fruits/ veg and drink lots of water. Healthy hair and growth comes from within so although it's important to look after your hair on the outside, it's just as important to look after yourself from the inside. You can buy supplements but, in my experience, I've not found a supplement that makes a noticeable difference (if you know of any please lemme know!) Remember hair is made from protein and if you lack this in your diet your hair is likely to become brittle so eggs, nuts and red meat will help keep your hair strong! Not only that but iron is also essential for hair growth, as the hair follicle and root are fed by a nutrient rich blood supply so if you become deficient in iron it disrupts this supply and can lead to hair loss and even Anaemia

No 3. Stay Away From Heated Tools

I use my ghd's less than once a week, I know many people say they absolutely must straighten their hair every day but try and think of alternative hair styles, up do's, plaits, buns, top knots; the possibilities are endless and you may even discover a new fav hair style! Not only that, but your hair will seriously thank you for it in the long run! John Frieda 3 Day Straight is a great product for those of you that find it hard breaking away from the straighteners and if you are going to use heated tools be sure to use heat protection to prevent any damage; TRESemme Heat Defence is my current favorite, I can't fault it at all, it gets the job done yet doesn't weigh my hair down! Perfect. 

No 4. Give Your Hair Some TLC 

Try and avoid shampoos and conditioners with harsh chemicals and parabens in them, these can have an adverse effect and cause your hair to dry out. Instead use a mild shampoo with an ultra moisturising conditioner. I find Aussie and Garnier Ultimate Blends are the best affordable brands at the moment but use whatever works for you! Try and limit how often you wash your hair, and when you do, shampoo the roots and condition the ends; washing the ends can cause dryness and conditioning the roots can cause greasyness! I usually try and leave the conditioner in for as long as possible before rinsing it out and twice a week I'll give my hair a deep treatment, usually with trusty old coconut oil, it deeply moisturises the hair shaft and restores shine and elasticity. Moreover it's cheap as chips, you can buy it almost anywhere and it will leave your hair feeling soft and smelling gorgeous! It's also good for massaging, this will encourage blood flow to the scalp and stimulate the hair follicles thus encouraging hair growth. 

 Another thing to be careful of is brushing, especially when your hair is wet! When hair gets wet it's weaker than usual so rather than brushing it, spray the ends of your hair with a leave in conditioner and gently use a wide tooth comb to untangle it; remember to begin at the ends and work your way up, this will avoid creating more knots and breakage! 


No. 5: Time 

Nothing will make your hair grow faster than time itself and to begin with you may feel like you're not getting anywhere, but don't be disheartened, I felt the same. Bare in mind that the average hair growth time is around half an inch a month but the above steps can increase that. Also bare in mind that, based on genetics, your hair has a natural stopping length which means that no matter what you do, it will not grow passed a certain point. For some people it's bra strap length, for others it continues growing until they can sit on it! Find out what your natural stopping length is and when you get to it, have a trim to maintain it's healthiness. 

So I hope that some of you have found this useful, there is much more to talk about on the subject of hair, find out in my next hair post, 'The Hair Chronical #3'


Do you have any tips on hair growth?

Neeks x

No comments:

Post a Comment